Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Rock and Roll Psalms—Part 1: Handle With Care

Psalm 34: 9-14

On Fire, our beloved band, returns to us this week for a two-week engagement. And we are focusing on the outpouring of emotion found in the musical lyrics of both the Hebrew Bible's Psalms and soul-filled classic rock.

In Psalm 34 we read,  The young lions suffer want and hunger, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing... Which of you desires life, and covets many days to enjoy good? ... Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.

In "Handle With Care" we hear "I've been fobbed off and I've been fooled. I've been robbed and ridiculed. In day care centers and night schools. Handle me with care.... I'm so tired of being lonely. I still have some love to give. Won't you show me that you really care?"

Joining forces in this outpouring lyric of emotion,  we feel the longing of the psalmist and the lyricist to just be protected and loved.  The psalmist is convinced that trusting in God can keep the 'bad stuff' away, or at least make it bearable. The lyricist is sure that being with another human can keep the 'bad stuff' away, or at least make it bearable.

Such is life. We stand in the midst of an open field, or in the center of a crowded mall, and we cry out (either literally or just inside ourselves)... "Why do I feel so alone?"  And we long for that sense of purpose, that sense of belonging to someone else besides ourselves, that sense that someone cares for us so deeply that no matter what happens we know we are loved.

What songs or Psalms do you turn to in times of loneliness? What activities do you pursue when you need to 'get on with life'?  How do you handle times when the 'lonelies' or the 'dissatisfied doldrums' set in? What role does God or your faith play in all of this, either good or bad?

Email me or comment below. I am so looking forward to rockin' out with you and On Fire for the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment