Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Staying on the Main Road




One thing about following a road to the cross is that it isn't actually that much fun.  When you know that agony lies ahead, how can the journey be pleasant? And yet, we can't focus on the pain in our lives, as we journey, or we will stop dead in our tracks and never reach resurrection. So, we plow forward, regardless.  We plow forward and cry for help.

Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me!
 "Come," my heart says, "seek his face!" Your face, LORD, do I seek. Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation!

This might be the time to add some inspirational CDs to the car's disc drive, or set the Sirius Satellite radio on inspirational healing talks with folks like Marianne Williamson or Oprah Winfrey.  Time to get a pep talk to keep things from falling apart.

Or maybe we need to hear from our faithful apostle, Paul, encouraging the Philippians to carry on.

... my brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved. 

It is hard to stay on the main road, the road that leads to the cross, when we would rather turn off at the fun and easy road exits instead.  When we see off to the side of this road a bright and colorful amusement park, and off to this side we we see a lovely mountain stream and a picnic lunch, all we want to do is go off the exits of fun and relaxation. Staying put on this road is endless. And perhaps a little dull. And definitely a little depressing. So why do we have to do it?
Why can't we hang out in the fun and easy places during Lent ?
What's wrong with a little distraction?

Thoughts? Email me or comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment