Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Connected to Our God, Our Earth, and Each Other

Jeremiah 1:4-10
Psalm 8

Then I said, "Ah, Lord GOD! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a boy'; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you, Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD." --from Jeremiah 1

When I consider your heavens,
    the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
    which you have set in place,
what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
    human beings that you care for them?-- from Psalm 8



One of my most pronounced camping memories is not of my camping at all. During the height of the Hayman Fire in 2002, Jake was scheduled to go to his first ever church camp. A two-night camp for kids ages 5-7 at Templed Hills near Woodland Park (and very near the fire). The camp had been evacuated at some point before that, but fire officials had given the all clear for campers to return and future camps to continue. I had secretly hoped his camp would be cancelled so I wouldn't have to worry about him being near the fire.

When we found out the camp was "on," we packed him up and headed west on I-70 then south on Highway 24 from our home in Stratton, CO. I stayed uneasy because you could still see the smoke and still smell it, even from far away.  As we approached the camp, I saw two signs. One said "Forest Fire... Danger... Do not enter."  The sign right beside of it said, "Welcome to camp!"

I will never forget that image. Danger and Welcome, side by side.

That is what camping is, a welcome respite from the frills of everyday life and a place to encounter nature up close in ways that can sometimes be dangerous... wildlife, weather, insect bites, the list goes on.

This Sunday, we worship outside, in the unpredictable space we call nature. Some of us will have camped out overnight in our church yard. Many of us will have enjoyed the all-church picnic and s'mores, skits and songs on Saturday evening.  Sunday, we will slow down and consider the space we find ourselves in.. God's space, given to us to protect and care for and love.

Some of our congregation will share their most significant camping stories with the rest of us. Perhaps you have one you might like to share, too.  Come join us for worship and join in a time of witness to the power of camping in our lives.  Comments? Email me or comment below.

DETAILS FOR ALL CHURCH PICNIC AND CAMPOUT
Aug 24th Camp-Out Dinner: Ad Council & the Fun Committee will host our annual picnic this year as part of the All-Church Campout on August 24th. We welcome those of you who will not be spending the night to join us for a potluck dinner that night anyway. You may, of course, stay for the Campfire sing! The main dish will be brats and hot dogs. Hope to see all of you there!
Campout Schedule:
4:30 pm - Registration, Games, Activities
6:00 pm - All-Church Picnic/Potluck
7:00 pm - Skits and games
8:00 pm - S'mores and Songs around the campfire
9:00 pm - Stargazing
10:00 pm - Bed
Sunday 8:30 am - Breakfast
9:30 am - Worship Service
You are welcome to join us in ANY or ALL of these activities!


No comments:

Post a Comment