Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Priestly robes and stoles"




We are back to Exodus 40 one more time. To that scripture where God sets up the church. The people sense that God is calling them to be in community in this way, following these customs and patterns. And part of that is the priestly robes and stoles being placed on Aaron and the others who will become priests of the people. Those set aside by God to follow the priestly functions for the temple are adorned with vestments. To show people who is leading the community.

I haven't always worn a robe and stole here at NUMC. And I often don't in the summer because it's just too hot in our non-air conditioned space. But I was reminded a couple of years ago in reading about these very matters that it is important. That the robe and the stole, they mean something. That they show the gathered community that my role is ordained by God in this place. Not over and above theirs, certainly. But, different than. I struggled with that, I admit it. But then, yes, I finally did understand it. When you decide to follow or act on what you believe to be a call from God to enter into the world of ordained ministry, you put yourself out there in a different way of serving.

Last year at our annual pet blessing, I had on my usual jeans and t-shirt to bless the animals. Makes more sense to wear jeans and T's around pets, instead of robes and stoles. But, for whatever reason, at the last minute, I ran inside and grabbed my stole with the kids handprints on it. And, I realized that it was the right thing to do. We had a lot of visitors at our pet blessing (YAY!). Probably as many visitors as church members. And each one of them came up and started talking to me and showing me their pets as soon as they walked down the drive because they identified me by the stole. Oh, SHE's the one who will bless Tiger! I want to speak to her.  It made a difference to them that they could identify right away who was carrying out the blessing role for their pet in a place they wanted to come, felt compelled to be, but had never been to before.

As the 1 Corinthians scripture points out, we all have roles to play. We aren't all called to the same function in the body of Christ. Some are teachers, some are prophesiers and so on.  In our church, we distinguish these roles by what we do mostly. The physical act of being the person, like Karen, in the kitchen. The physical act of being on the stage singing, like the choir. Each living out our roles in special functions. 

But we also do it in visual ways, too, not just with me in a robe and stole, but with our acolytes.  Our service does not begin until the acolytes begin it. It is the children acolyting who set the tone that lets us know worship has begun. They put on their robes. The grab their candle lighters. They process in. Then and only then do I know it is time for me to live into my own role.  They lead me. They lead all of us. The acolytes create our worship space. They draw it out for us like a road map each week, Leading us in and taking us out. They bring the light of Christ in and they take the light of Christ into the world. Their role is a major one. Most significant.

I heard a sermon once called "Follow the Acolyte" and I have never forgotten it. If you don't know what to expect, or what should happen, or how things are going to play out when you arrive, don't fear. Sit down, take a seat, take a breath or two and wait for the acolyte to lead you.  Pastors wait for the acolytes all the time. If it's a new church and we don't know what do do, we just follow the acolyte because we know THEY know what is going on.

So we remember to thank God for the many gifts we share in this one faith community. And we remember to give thanks for those acolytes who don their robes and grab the light of Christ and lead us into worship. And we remember and give thanks to the choir and the paid musical staff for leading us in the most important thing we do, singing together. And we give thanks that God gave us all a role to play in this deal. We aren't all called to the same path. But we are all called to walk together toward the same God. What are your gifts and do you use them to worship God? What roles do you see others called to, and how can you help encourage them to live into the roles? Email me or comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment