Tuesday, June 10, 2014

"Best Travel Guides"

Matthew 28:16-20



There's nothing I love more than a travel guide. It is my favorite kind of book to read. I sometimes check them out of the library just to read them. And if I'm going somewhere I buy one and I read it cover to cover and make notes of the places I want to visit.  Recently, my husband Todd and I went to New Orleans and I forgot to pack the New Orleans travel guide I bought. You can see it hanging out on my travel guide bookshelf in this picture,  placed appropriately right beside the book called Cocktails. Anyway, how tragic it was that I forgot my travel guide. The trip was loads of fun, but we spent a disconcerting amount of time wondering where to go and what we should do without my constant travel guide companion alongside us.

In this week's scripture, Jesus, having just been resurrected, offers these words to the disciples:
"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."  

Here we have the ultimate travel guide, Jesus, telling those who have been following his destinations... NOW IT'S YOUR TURN!  Go and make disciples of all nations. Teach and obey my commandments. But he leaves them with the line, "I am with you always, to the end of the age."  So, it might be these disciples' turn to start guiding others into the Way of Christ, but they are still going to be influenced, guided and directed by Jesus.  They may need to become travel guides for those who follow after them, but they are still ultimately guided by the principles and teachings of their Master Jesus.

How do we serve as travel guides to others on their faith journeys? Who along the way has served as a travel guide for you? Do you ever go away from home and leave "Jesus" on the shelf, forgetting how important it is to take him along on your journey?  What does it mean to feel lost without the guidance of our God and how can we prevent that from happening to us?

Email me or comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment