Monday, May 2, 2016

"Welcome Home"



Last week we talked about the dissonance that sometimes occur when you try to 'go home again,' and no one understands who you have become.  But this week's 'home' scripture takes us down a totally different road... so to speak. 

The prodigal son story is one of the most famous ones in the Bible and almost everyone who has been to church knows it. In this parable that Jesus relates to his followers, a wayward son goes away and spends his inheritance, but when things turn sour he decides to head home to his family.  And this story is the opposite of dissonance, at least between father and son... Because when he is just within site, his father sees him and rejoices, runs to him with open arms and welcomes him fully back into the fold.  No dissonance, just full, inclusive love.

But the older son, his brother, does have dissonance... jealousy. He wonders why he has done everything his father needed or wanted, but his father seems more than overjoyed to welcome the wayward son back, but doesn't seem to show that exuberance with him.

Welcome home.... my wayward son... so happy to see...you are always welcome here... we will always kill the fatted calf and bring out the finest robes for those we love who come home.    That is the kind of inclusive love Jesus is trying to get the followers to see. This kind of love is what God offers.   But Jesus also shows us the kind of welcome we often give one another out of jealousy or misunderstanding or spite in the reaction of the brother.

What sorts of welcome homes to we give each other?  What sorts of welcome homes have you received in your life?  Email me at peverhart@niwotumc.org or comment below.

Here's a good old song from the '70s to ponder... 
Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high

Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
I hear the voices when I'm dreaming,
I can hear them say

Carry on my wayward son,
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man,
Well, it surely means that I don't know

On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about, I'm like a ship on the ocean
I set a course for winds of fortune,
But I hear the voices say

Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more no!

Carry on,
You will always remember
Carry on,
Nothing equals the splendor
Now your life's no longer empty
Surely heaven waits for you

Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry,
Don't you cry no more.


No comments:

Post a Comment