Tuesday, April 30, 2013

"Spirit Sight"

John 14:23-29

The Senses of the Spirit...how do we connect to the Holy Spirit through our senses? This week begins a short series on that theme.

Spirit Sight.  How do we see the Spirit?  Through good works and acts of charity? Through fellowship and public worship? Sure, those are all obvious places to see the Spirit alive and well.

But it is also more subtle.  In this week's gospel reading, John tells us of Jesus' words to the disciples right before his ascension, telling them of an Advocate who will come to walk alongside them.

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.


How do we "see" this Advocate in our lives? How do we gain a sense of Spirit Sight?  Jesus tells the disciples "I am going away and coming to you," hinting at his physical presence exiting, but being replaced with the spiritual presence of Christ.  This is where we begin to look for and SEE not the actual Jesus, the man who walked the shores of Galilee, but Jesus, the Christ, who resides in the hearts and minds of everyone who claims the title "Christian."

Spirit Sight is a challenge. It requires us to live lives that others clearly see as Spirit-filled. It also requires us to fine-tune or our own vision, open our own eyes that we might see... the will of God unfolding all around us in the world. In the lives of others, as well as in our own. It requires us to really see the world around us as if it is infused with the Spirit.  Look for the way that Spirit-infusion is waiting for us to help it along in ways that truly transform the world.

I have been wanting some time to find just the right person to help me with a new worship-related project/ministry.  Yesterday,  I just happened to be sitting in the library with the RIGHT person, and my eyes were finally OPENED to really see her in that role. She had been there all along, gifts openly displayed, but yesterday I finally found the Spirit Sight to know that she was the one I had been praying for all along.

Seeing IS believing, but sight is a tricky thing. And it doesn't always require physical vision.  How do you work on seeing the Spirit work?  In what ways is Seeing the first step to Acting in the faith?

Email me or comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment